Employment reduction. How to take care of the well-being of the employee and the image of the company during the transition?
More and more often, mass media report on modest job reductions and group redundancies. This issue applies to both medium and large enterprises, including industry leaders. An example is the information provided on the Bankier website (access on 25/04/2019), which concerns group layoffs at Pekao bank. What can a company do in such circumstances so as not to suffer immense damage to its brand image?
The answer to this question is outplacement, also known in Poland as monitored redundancies. Each company may face a situation where Staff reductions and the resulting reduced employment costs are necessary. However, in order to reduce the negative effects of changes, it is worth giving support to those who are affected in looking for a new place of employment. To do this, analyze the current career path of employees, draw conclusions and on the basis of this knowledge plan next activities that will help them change their position or place of work. Consequently you will:
● avoid a serious image-related crisis which may have consequences in future recruitments,
● have a positive effect on the perception of your company by dismissed employees by helping and preparing them for upcoming changes,
● take care of the motivation, thus the effectiveness and sense of security in people staying in the company,
● your Public Relations department will have a great material for a case study - "How to act during job reductions?" - thanks to which the company will not lose but only gain.
Best employers take care of their employees from the moment they are recruited, through their implementation, the whole employment period, as well as during the time of parting. In order for the entire process to be successful, it is worth engaging an external partner who will objectively assess the situation, conduct interviews or trainings for employees leaving the company and help them reduce the negative effects of the upcoming changes. Examples of benefits for an employee include:
● faster finding of a newjob,
● the feeling that the layoff is not their fault,
● reducing fear and stress associated with changing position or work,
● reducing the sense of injustice.
Career coaching and career counseling.
A common procedurę taken by companies during the restructuring process is providing employees who are being made redundant with professional advice, and in the case of senior positions, career coaching. Unlike career counselors, a career coach works on the development of individual abilities which help to manage your own career. He also helps to eliminate standstills in career development. As a result, he supports the employee in coping with the change in the work environment.
The most important thing during a transition period is common understanding of both sides for which this situation is a challenge. Even the best strategy can only end up being a file of documents hidden on the bottom of a desk drawer if people do not get involved and support it.
Link to article on Bankier portal: https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/Zwolnienia-w-Pekao-obejma-do-900-pracownikow-koszty-szacowane-sa-na-ok-70-90-mln-zl-7657529.html?smclient=bcc242cd-4789-11e8-8101-0cc47a1256ac&utm_source=salesmanago&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=default